Division of Code Enforcement /Housing
Consistent with Toms River Township Ordinance 4724- 21
Effective July, 1, 2022, any residential property being sold or transferring title must have applied for and received a clear MCCUO Certificate, or have an exemption letter.
All documents are available in the Related Documents section for electronic or in-person filing as described. It is strongly suggested you read the Packet-Application completely before submission. If you are unclear or have further questions you can email MCCUO@tomsrivertownship.com or call us at (732) 341-1000 ex 8440.
Our Township inspectors continue to practice guidelines provided by the CDC and are wearing proper PPE such as face masks and gloves to protect themselves as well as our residents. Inspectors are utilizing iPads to perform inspections and sending the inspection reports electronically, this minimizes all hand to hand transactions of paperwork which allows us to practice social distancing of 6ft.
The Division of Code Enforcement/ Housing & Property Maintenance falls under the purview of Craig Ambrosio, Division Manager of Parks, Buildings, and Grounds/Code Enforcement. The Division of Code Enforcement provides inspections throughout the township to ensure compliance with the township codes. Typically, inspectors respond to a complaint for code violations such as properties in an unsafe condition or state of disrepair. These codes consist of township specific codes and compliance with the International Property Maintenance Code.
The division staff is there to protect all residents and business from unsafe and unsightly conditions in order to make Toms River a better place to live.
While many people think that problems can be immediately resolved by a visit from one of our officers, there is often a due process that must take place to achieve compliance. Code Enforcement cases can begin in a number of different ways; most commonly a complaint is submitted into the Department by a citizen.When submitting a complaint on the resident complaint portal or any other avenue such as phone, email or regular mail, please keep in mind that you must provide your full name and address. Our office does not accept anonymous complaints. Click here to access the resident complaint portal and create an account to submit a complaint.
- Problem identified (through citizen complaint or officer detection)
- Notice of Violation is sent to the property owner detailing Township ordinance violation with a time frame to comply
- After that time has elapsed, a second inspection is conducted on the property to check for compliance ranging from imminent hazard to 30-day compliance depending on the condition and ownership classifications
- If compliance cannot be achieved through normal channels, the case is assessed on a case by case basis and depends on the nature of the violation and if it poses any immediate danger to persons on the property
Regardless of the type of service for the Respondent(s) in your particular case, please rest assured that your complaint is important and is being handled in an appropriate manner.
A large part of this division’s time and efforts are dedicated to year-round and seasonal housing inspections to ensure safe and habitable conditions exist in dwellings that are rented rather than owner-occupied.
Download our Rental Application Packet here. Please read through the entire packet. The 5 page packet includes instructions and information on the rental process, what items must be submitted with the application, a guideline list of some of the items we will check and the rental application. We will not be accepting applications unless they are complete. All items on the application are required to be filled in by the applicant. When submitting the rental paperwork we only need page 4 & 5 from the rental packet. All other pages are for your records.
To submit your application, you may do so 1 of 3 ways:
- Email to Housing@tomsrivertownship.com . Please allow 24-48 hours for processing. Once processed you will receive a link from SDL Portal to make the online credit card payment.
- Mail in: Code Enforcement, PO Box 728, Toms River, NJ 08754
- Drop off to 33 Washington St, Toms River, NJ 08753