Mayor and Council have approved a resolution that directs the Tax Collector to extend the grace period to pay the May 1st taxes until June 1st. The grace period by state statue is only allowed until the 10th day of each tax quarter.
Yesterday, the Governor of New Jersey issued executive order no. 130 giving municipalities the option to allow by resolution an extension of the grace period. Mayor Hill and Township Council had to prepare and pass a resolution at last night’s meeting before the May 1st tax quarter. The executive order does not change the due date of May 1st, changing the grace period allows the owner to make payment to the tax collector’s office on or before June 1st without interest due on the May tax quarter. Payment received after June 1st will have interest due going back to the May 1st date as require by state statue.
Currently the Tax Office is closed to the public, property owners may submit payments by:
- Mailing the payment to the township (either using the address on the May quarter tax stub or to PO Box 607 Toms River NJ 08754)
- Using the tax payment drop off box located at the entrance of town hall facing the parking garage (to the left if you walk up the handicap ramp)
- Using your on-line banking software (please use your property tax account number on your bill when setting up the vendor information)
- Going to the township website at www.tomsrivertownship.com and clicking on the Online Payment option
- Please contact the Tax Collector’s Office with questions at 732-341-1000 ext. 8342